Ear Infection Treatment in Marietta, GA
All parents have seen their child suffer from an ear infection, but when is it considered a chronic issue? If your child has recurring ear infections, it might be time to call Cobb Pediatrics to learn more about chronic ear infections. Call (770) 425-5331 to schedule an appointment in Marietta, GA today!
Symptoms of Chronic Ear Infections Versus Acute Ear Infections
Because ear infections are normal in children, it can be hard to differentiate between chronic and acute ear infections. There are a few symptoms that might lead you to believe your child is suffering from chronic ear infections:
- Pressure in one or both of the ears that comes and goes
- Low-grade fever that won’t break
- Fluid or pus draining from the ear
- Temporary hearing loss
- Fussiness, especially when going to sleep Pulling or tugging on the ear that’s causing pain
Why Does My Child Get Ear Infections so Often?
In most cases, chronic ear infections are caused by the Eustachian tube being too narrow or blocked. Even though all children have narrower Eustachian tubes, some might have tubes that are constantly swollen or too narrow to stabilize the pressure between the middle ear.
How Our Pediatricians Treat Ear Infections in Children
The board-certified physicians at Cobb Pediatrics can help your child find relief from chronic ear infections. Schedule an appointment at our office in Marietta, Georgia to find out which of the following treatment options is right for you:
- Antibiotics. Antibiotics are commonly used to treat antibiotics. To determine the kind of antibiotic that will treat the infection quickly, your pediatrician will probably take a sample of the fluid.
- Ear Drops. Ear drops or a diluted vinegar solution might be used if there is a hole in the eardrum
- Surgery. If a child isn’t responding to medications, surgery might be necessary. During this procedure, an ENT surgeon will insert a small tube through the eardrum, connecting the middle ear and the outer ear. This will help fluid drain and lessen the symptoms of the ear infection.
- Vaccines. Speak with one of our pediatricians about the conjugate pneumococcal vaccine which fights against some of the bacteria that cause ear infections.
If left untreated, ear infections can cause permanent hearing loss, damage to the ear bones, damage to the balance function in the ear, and even facial paralysis.
Schedule an Appointment for Ear Infection Treatment in Marietta, GA Today!
If your child is troubled by recurring ear infections, meet with our pediatric specialists located in Marietta, Georgia. To schedule a consultation, please call (770) 425-5331 to visit Cobb Pediatrics and discuss the risks associated with ear infections and the treatments available.